Monday, December 16, 2013

Propaganda


  My Saturday morning started just like any other. I woke up, ate, and prepared for the day. However, when I checked my news feed on Facebook, I saw a curious video that one of my friends posted. The video in question was on the topic of Israel's foreign policy towards Iran. The video painted Israel as a war mongering nation that was trying to provoke Iran. The video was an interesting watch, until about five minutes of research debunked most of the claims in said video.
    The speaker in the video was the notorious former Louisiana representative, David Duke. Duke's career can be summarized by most as nothing but racism (He supports voluntary segregation and is an ex KKK member) and anti-semitism. Duke is an individual who has continuously painted Jews as the main crux of all of society's problems, a philosophy that got him in arrested in the Czech Republic on charges of being a nazi apologist. It is difficult when watching the video "Israel is a Threat to America" if Duke is merely an ignorant old man or an absolute genius in the art of propaganda. In the video, Duke stated that Iran has never once launched a terrorist attack on Israel or America, conveniently forgetting key events such as the Seven days War and the Iranian hostage crisis. While I do not enjoy taking sides, I merely have to reiterate that Iran, like many nations, despises the United States, and one can easily find footage of Iranian civilians holding up banners that read, "Death to the US".
    I am not an ardent supporter of the Israel or Palestine. I find that both sides have committed far too many atrocities towards one another for a side to be taken. However, I find it silly that Mr. Duke loves to act like such atrocities were not provoked on both ends. The true purpose of Duke's agenda can be best understood when he not only implies that he is a 9/11 "truther", that Israel indirectly had a hand in the tragedy, but that Sadam Hussein was framed as "The next Hitler" merely for his support of Palestine, which was not the case in the slightest. As stated, this video is either embarrassing ignorance, or brilliant hate propaganda. Take your pick.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! There is a name I haven't seen in awhile....interesting new target for him. I would have thought he would support Israel instead of Iran....

    ReplyDelete