Saturday, August 10, 2013

Choosing a book





The process of choosing the book titled, "The 15 Biggest Lies in Politics" was a rather short one. I started by scrolling down the recommended books section of the assignment information multiple times until I found a title that the most interesting title. The title of the book I chose, "The 15 Biggest Lies in Politics", caught my eye due to the fact that I am nearing the age where I am eligible to vote and I require more perspective on voting. I expect to learn how to see through the lies that directly influence my voting decision and learn how to make informed judgements on politicians from the book. The background of the authors is also noteworthy.

The authors of "The 15 Biggest Lies in Politics" are Major Garrett and Timothy J. Penny. Major Garett was born August 24,1962 in San Diego, California. He graduated from University of Missouri with a Bachelor of Science degree and a Bachelor of Journalism degree and has been a white house correspondent for news stations such as Fox News, CNN and CBS News. Given the news stations past history of accused political bias for the left (CNN and CBS) and the right (Fox), I would be more concerned of political bias if Garrett only worked with said stations if he did not also have a history of writing for the Houston Post, Las Vegas: Review Journal, and Amarillo Globe-News, thus granting him a wide range of political perspective. Timothy Joe Penny was born November 19,1951 in Albert Lea Minnesota. Penny graduated with a bachelor's degree in political science from Winona State University and served as a Democratic Farmer-Labor member in the House of Representatives. I am expecting a more broad view of political issues due to his twelve years in office as a more conservative democrat. In my view, both authors have enough experience with politics and research to at least write a book that grants a view of multiple sides of political lies.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment